Detroit Pizza Tour

Here’s the challenge: devour Detroit, one pizza at a time.

Inspired by a story on the best pizzas in metro Detroit, I have landed on a noble goal: get an accurate education in Detroit pizza.

My curriculum: two pizzas a month (at least) for a year.

My coursework: this blog.

(Update: clearly I have not eaten as much pizza as I should have – but still working on it)

Detroit Pizza

Pizza Pizza Pizza

In my research on Detroit pizza, I was pleased to discover that Detroit is considered by James Beard Award-winning food journalist Alan Richman to be the 3rd best pizza city in the nation, just behind New York and San Fran, and perhaps surprisingly (though not to me) above #4 Chicago.

Little known to Detroit dwellers and outsiders alike, there is a Detroit-style pizza. But the mix of cultures and influences means that there’s a great variety of pies available in the metro area, so our selection is not limited to this one execution — though it is a fine style, and one of my favorites.

We all know sharing is caring; I plan to share with you my impressions as I sample all the pizza I can get my mouth around. I am starting out with a list of pizza places that will undoubtedly grow as time goes on. Please send your suggestions for places to visit, and I’ll add them to the destinations list!

1. Buddy’s Pizza
  17. Cottage Inn
  18. Georgio’s
  19. Brooklyn Pizza
  20. Pizza Cutter
  21. PizzaPapalis
  22. Bricks (added 9/10)
  23. Royal Oak Brewery (added 9/10/09)
  24. Red Devil (added 9/11/09)
  25. Bob’s Pizza (added 9/11/09)
  26. Papa Ramano’s (added 9/11/09)
  27. Little Ceasar’s (added 9/11/09)
  28. Nikki’s (added 9/21/09)
  29. Aubree’s (added 9/26/09)
  30. Jerusalem Pizza (added 9/28/09)
  31. Frank’s Restaurant and Pizzaria (added 11/5/09)
  32. Sportsmans Pizzeria (added 11/5/09)
  33. Geno’s Pizza (added 1/31/10)

26 Responses to “Detroit Pizza Tour”

1. on 10 Sep 2009 at 9:26 pmDave

Excellent idea! There’s a place called Bricks in Farmington. Haven’t been there but have heard good things. Also, pizza is good at Royal Oak Brewery–my son’s favorite! And I think Inn Season, Royal Oak has a veggie pizza.

2. on 10 Sep 2009 at 11:34 pmRebecca

Thanks for the tips! I will add them to the list!

3. on 11 Sep 2009 at 12:46 pmDave

Oh, and can’t forget Como’s in Ferndale. Round, thin crust, great time on the patio!

4. on 11 Sep 2009 at 2:26 pmRebecca

Oh yes! Como’s! I just walked by that place the other night and filed it away in my mind for my “Detroit Italian Restaurant Tour” (a whole other series I plan to include on this blog)! I didn’t realize they had pizza…So maybe Como’s will have to walk the line!

5. on 11 Sep 2009 at 2:37 pmClayton

Try Carriera’s in Dearborn. Red Devil in Detroit. Bob’s Pizza Palace on 7 Mile in Detroit.

6. on 11 Sep 2009 at 2:50 pmRebecca

Hmmm…I think I am going to have to classify Carriera’s as an Italian restaurant. I think for the pizza tour category, I’m going to concentrate on places that SPECIALIZE in pizza. But adding Red Devil and Bob’s. Thanks! It may take me TWO years to eat all this pizza!

7. on 11 Sep 2009 at 2:39 pmClayton

Papa Romano’s is from Detroit. So is Little Ceaser’s. Dominos is from Ann Arbor.

8. on 11 Sep 2009 at 3:07 pmRebecca

You’re right! These chains kinda go to show how Detroit is a pizza leader. However, I think I will omit Domino’s because for one, I already know I am not that fond of their pizza, and secondly I think their already tenuous Detroit-ness…(being Ann Arborish at their heart) has been diluted from their proliferation across the world. Of course I am aware Little Ceasars is equally HUGE, but they actually began in Detroit, so I’ll put them in…plus, the Ilitch family is pretty much synonymous with the Redwings and Tigers, and have shown intense loyalty for Detroit with their downtown redevelopment efforts, so they definitely deserve inclusion….

9. on 20 Sep 2009 at 5:38 amBecks Davis

I’m so excited about this and can’t wait to hear your reviews. Pizza is my favorite food and I could eat it every day. I envy you!

10. on 21 Sep 2009 at 11:50 pmRebecca

I could eat it every day, too! With so many pizza places throughout Detroit to choose from, I can’t imagine I’ll ever get sick of it…perhaps those will be my famous last words. Just in case, my back-up plan is to tour Detroit’s many delicious burger joints 🙂 (and let’s not forget all the Coney Islands! My “Plan C”!)

11. on 22 Sep 2009 at 10:54 amMrs. 12k

Hey –
    I’m excited to hear about all your pizza travels. You should go go Nikki’s too. A Greektown staple.

12. on 22 Sep 2009 at 1:49 pmRebecca

OK, you are not the first person to mention Nikki’s to me! If you say so, it’s on the list!

13. […] September 21, 2009 in Detroit Pizza Tour | Tags: Best Pizzas, Detroit Restaurants, Detroit's Best Pizza, Metro Detroit Pizza Tour, Pizza Reviews The first installment of my admittedly ambitious Pizza Tour of Detroit. […]

14. on 26 Sep 2009 at 4:17 pmmarcy

Aubree’s in Depot Town, Ypsilanti.
    Best Pizza in Washtenaw County.

It may be too far out to count, but if you’re in the area, I would highly recommend it!

15. on 26 Sep 2009 at 7:55 pmRebecca

Marcy, you aren’t the first person to mention Aubree’s, so I will include by popular demand. The truth is , Ypsilanti is about as close to Detroit as Sterling Heights, so why not?

16. on 28 Sep 2009 at 7:44 pmmarcy

Excellent! I guess there’s a location in Northville now as well– and there’s a few in the Ypsi area– my personal opinion is that it tastes the best in Depot Town though. And you can usually snag a special on draft pints of Michigan Beers if you eat upstairs.

17. […] September 26, 2009 in Uncategorized | Tags: Best Pizzas, Detroit Pizza, Detroit Restaurants, Metro Detroit Pizza Tour, Pizza Reviews More pizza adventures from Metro Detroit as I continue the Pizza Tour of Detroit. […]

18. on 28 Sep 2009 at 7:50 amSandra

You might want to add Jeruslaem Pizza in Southfield. It’s Kosher and Vegetarian and they have a lot of very interesting specialty pizzas including my personal favorite Cashew Chicken which includes vegetarian chicken and peanut butter! It sounded horrible to me until I tried it. I try to stop in every time I’m in the area.

19. on 28 Sep 2009 at 5:58 pmRebecca

That sounds great, Sandra!! Fits my requirements of 1) being in Detroit Metro area, and 2) specializing in Pizza! And I like that it’s got the veggie/kosher angle! I will add it!

20. on 07 Dec 2009 at 9:34 pmChef Ed

Villa restaurant in Eastpointe !!

21. on 08 Dec 2009 at 12:43 amRebecca

Let me check this out with a little research! Do they specialize in pizza? That is part of my criteria!

I am already up to 32 places on my list so not sure if I can add anymore (goal was 24 within a year, and I am falling BEHIND!!!

Guess I may have to make this a two-year goal!

22. […] December 8, 2009 in Uncategorized A highlight of the Metro Detroit Pizza Tour… […]

23. on 14 Dec 2010 at 2:34 amShawn

If ever passing through saint clair shores come check out cloverleaf pizza carryout and delivery.

24. on 14 Dec 2010 at 9:43 pmRebecca

It’s TOTALLY on the list (number 9, though these are in no particular order)! I plan to get there sooner rather than later!!! Alsmost went there this past weekend, but opted for DiNoto’s instead. Next east-side trip!

25. on 19 Jan 2011 at 10:00 pmJulieB

Sorry–I’m late visiting your blog, but I have a suggestion. What about Motor City Brewing Works? I got there specifically for their pizza (fig and goat cheese, please). Their specialties are jointly pizza and beer, which should always be served together! They’re on Canfield at Second.

26. on 19 Jan 2011 at 10:28 pmRebecca

Well, I was trying to limit my Pizza Tour to restaurants that specialize in pizza. But you ar ethe second person to suggest MCBW, so perhaps I should reconsider!!

Trackback URI | Comments RSS